Monday, February 11, 2008

Chinese Cooking Classes with Liu

Liu was driving Elizabeth and I to school one day soon after the CNY and I asked him what he did during the holiday. He told me that he ate a lot of jiaozi (dumplings). These are meat or vegetable filled pasta pouches that are very popular here. I told him that I liked them also.

I went out for a run (6 miles that day!) and when I came back there was a wooden board full of dumplings. I asked Liu if his wife made them and he said no. I assumed he bought them. Later I asked him where he bought them and he told me that he made them! We had them for lunch and they were very good. I told him that I wanted to learn how to make them.

When you tell Liu something, he gets right on it! The next day he brought all the fixings and we sat down and he taught me how to make dumplings. I think I'll need more practice because mine definitely weren't as pretty as his.

No comments: