Sunday, March 18, 2007

Guest blog by Grammy

Elizabeth and Alex wanted to go home with Grammy's in her suitcase

This is my last day of a 19-day visit with Kirk, Kath, Lizzy and Alex. I am sad to leave China, but I have so many wonderful memories of my visit here. We were on the go everyday! I got to see Puxi, the Bund, Shanghai Museum, Shanghai Art Museum, Yuyuan Gardens, the French Concession, Xintiandi, Century Park, and Pearl and Jin Mao Towers. We took a day trip to Suzhou, where we saw ancient Chinese gardens, towers, and pagodas. Very beautiful! Kirk, Elizabeth and I spent an evening at the ERA, Chinese acrobatic performance at the Shanghai Centre Theatre, which I highly recommend. It was amazing!
I was here to help Elizabeth celebrate her 4th birthday. We had three celebrations: one at school with her classmates, where Kath and I spent the morning, did a shell-painting craft, and provided birthday treats for the children; next we had a small celebration at home that evening, sharing cupcakes with DeDe (Alex) who liked them very much; and lastly on Saturday, with a full-fledged Princess Tea Party for 12 dancing princesses, their moms and ayis (nannies). It was very special.
I also got to go to ballet class and spend a day helping in Elizabeth's class. This was very special! She is so happy here, and has many friends. I also took Alex to his Chinese preschool one afternoon, and enjoyed that a lot, although I didn't understand a word of it! You don't need to know the words to communicate with babies and teachers!
Kirk and Kath's apartment is very nice and spacious. The most impressive thing is the view. I don't think you could find a better one in Shanghai. I love the Pudong side of town. It is mostly modern and fairly easy to get around in. The Puxi side is the opposite. It is noisy, crazy busy, and a constant traffic jam. The Bund is a very interesting contrast to all of the modern skyscrapers that are going up, one after another. Construction is everywhere. I do not know where they will be able to put all of the cars we Americans would like to help them acquire from us. Right now busses, taxis, private autos, motor scooters and bicycles all fight for the same road space. Traffic signals seem optional. Underground in the Metro are many little shops selling the fake designer bags, watches, etc. It was fun learning to barter with Kirk!
We ate at some amazing restaurants. Most of the places in Green City, near their apartment, cater to Americans and other ex-pats, so the food was much like home. Others like the hotel buffets have a wonderful assortment of Chinese specialties.
Lastly, I cannot express enought thanks to Soujou and Mr. Liu for taking such good care of me while I was here. XieXie!
You all should consider a trip here. It is an amazing place, and the hospitality was incredible. Thanks Kirk and Kath!

1 comment:

Bob and Connie said...

Thank you again for a wonderful visit. I miss my little kidlets so much! Hugs from Grammy